Rehab Recovery Programs and Therapy - Albany
There are a number of rehab recovery programs available for drug and alcohol treatment. To learn about the rehab recovery programs and therapy options and available facilities that are best for you or a loved one, contact Drug Rehab Centers Albany at (518) 626-8505.
Addiction Recovery and 12-Step Rehab Recovery Programs
A 12-step program is a set of guiding principles outlining actions for recovery from addiction. Originally formulated by Alcoholics Anonymous (AA), the methods were adapted to become the basis of other twelve-step recovery programs.
The adapted strategy has the goals of motivating the substance abuser to become actively involved in the 12-step groups and recovery programs, leading to sustained abstinence.
There are three main ideas that integrate the traditional program with treatment recovery programs.
(1) Acceptance: Recognizing addiction is a chronic, progressive disease over which the user is powerless to control. Now, life unmanageable because of substances. Willpower by itself cannot overcome the problem. Abstinence is the only alternative.
(2) Surrender: Giving over to a higher power for restoration to a sober life, accepting support from others in recovery and following all the steps in the 12-step program.
(3) Active involvement: Actively attending 12-step meetings and related activities on a regular basis.
Behavioral Treatments for Rehab Recovery Programs
- Motivational Interviewing: MI is a therapeutic approach to guide people into making positive changes in their lives. It has been proven effective when used in drug addiction programs. A collaborative teamwork approach is used between the therapist and the addict on exploration of the person's ideas. The therapist doesn't dictate to the person on how they should improve their lives. Instead, the person makes independent observations about how their decisions affect them.
MI explores options to move forward with recovery. Examination with a therapist about the benefits and consequences of different choices and actions are explored. Using a low-pressure approach, goals and actions are determined by their needs, desires, values and strengths.
- Motivational Incentive: The National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA), National Institutes of Health published a study which found the chance to win even small rewards in Motivational Incentive programs motivated substance abusers to stay in treatment and to continue abstinence. Awarded prizes for attending meetings and abstinence did make a difference. The schedules of reward increased prizes as appropriate behavior is continued using the history of compliance and relapse.
- SMART Recovery: SMART Recovery (Self-Management and Recovery Training) is an organization offering assistance to substance abusers who want to live a sober life. Motivational, behavioral and cognitive approaches are used with no confrontation involved. Substance abusers learn recovery methods found to be successful.
- Moral Reconation Therapy: MRT helps substance abusers overcome self-gratification when it has harmful consequences to themselves and those around them. MRT is customized to the person's circumstances and situations.
Principles of Effective Treatment
- Different people need different treatment plans.
- Treatment must always be available.
- Treatment must address all the needs of the individual, not just substance use.
- Treatment plans need to be flexible, constantly assessed and modified as needs change.
- Treatment cannot be rushed.
- Counseling and behavioral therapies are needed for effective treatment.
- Medications are needed for many substance abusers.
- Co-existing mental disorders and substance abuse must be treated together.
- Medical detoxification cannot stand alone.
- Treatment can be forced and still be effective.
- Drug testing should be used.
- Assessment for infectious diseases and counseling should be given to reduce risky behaviors.
- Recovery can be a lengthy process and can require multiple attempts.
Just as individuals are different from one another, different treatment plans may be effective for some and not for others. Thorough assessments and treatment plans must be flexible to modify it to what is working and what is not. For rehab recovery programs and various therapies and facilities, contact Drug Rehab Centers Albany at (518) 626-8505.