Addiction Aftercare Programs Albany
The success of addiction aftercare programs is determined, to a large degree, by the quality of the rehabilitation program that precedes it. From the moment the decision is made to stop the obsessive and compulsive substance abuse the aftercare process begins.
While the successful completion of the drug rehab program for addiction is a significant step on the road to recovery; in essence, it is only the beginning of the journey from addiction to recovery. Drug intervention treatment provides the foundation upon which aftercare activities will stand. The building blocks of a great aftercare program includes:
- Completing the drug detoxification process without relapsing
- Achieving greater mental and physical stability during and after halting habitual drug use.
- Exploring, understanding and treating the root causes of addiction.
- Recognizing and understanding the individual threats to sobriety such genetic predisposition or exposure to environments that favor drug use.
- Identifying and treating underlying problems such as mental illness or unresolved trauma.
- Improving self-image and communication skills
- Improving or developing strong stress busting or coping mechanisms
- Assistance with the creation of an addiction aftercare program
- Having a keen understanding of relapse prevention through education and training that:
- Explain the various stages of a relapse
- Provide the tools and the techniques to intercept or prevent a relapse
- How to recover from a relapse event
- Develop a relapse prevention plan
Even after completing a great rehabilitation program, leaving the rehab facility to resume normal routines can at times feel daunting. Family and friends as well as the individual in recovery typically have high expectations of themselves. This often create a layer of stress that can make reintegration into society more difficult than it has to be. For this reason, after care also entails entering a sober community or transitional living environment for many individuals. Sober living communities help to make the transition easier by helping to gradually integrate aftercare activities into everyday life.
Ultimately, the success of any addiction aftercare program is dependent on the implementation and the recovering addict's commitment to it. As such, addiction aftercare programs are also flexible to adjust for changes in the individual's life or as they grow and evolve. Many people begin by seeking support from others to providing support to others. This often occur within the framework of their initial aftercare activities as well as through extensions of it.
Addiction aftercare programs may include but are not limited to:
- A temporary stay at a Sober Living Community Facility
- Establishing one or more support systems that could include a sober coach and other support groups.
- Ongoing individual counsel with a psychiatrist or addiction specialist.
- Attending regular group meetings
- Participation in alumni meetings and events
- Utilizing various technological tools that enhance efforts to stay sober
- Participating in recreational or social activities that strengthen sobriety maintenance
- Engaging in various online forums that support addiction recovery
Addiction aftercare is not a one-time or once-in-a-while activity. The potential for a relapse makes it a lifetime focus. Effective addiction aftercare programs are therefore designed to become a natural part of the lifestyle of people in recovery and their loved ones. Contact Albany drug treatment centers to learn more about how and where you can get help for addiction. Dial (518) 626-8505 today to get started.